Metal Furniture Glides
3 prong, steel furniture glides are best used on furniture that sits on carpeted surfaces.
Nickel Plated Non-Hardened Steel
Available in 4 Sizes:
- Head diameter: 1/2"
- Head diameter: 5/8"
- Head diameter: 3/4"
- Head diameter: 7/8"
Choosing the Correct Glide
Using the correct glide on your furniture is important for 2 reasons:
- They protect the floor. An incorrect glide can damage the floor. For example, using a steel glide can scratch a hardwood floor so use a felt glide.
- They allow the furniture to slide easily, without friction. This is good for the joints on the piece of furniture. Friction puts stress on the joints which can cause them to loosen up and sometimes break.
Here are some guidelines for choosing the right glide:
- Steel glides - These are best on a carpeted surface.
- Felt glides - These are best on hard surfaces like wood, vinyl or tiles floors.
- Plastic glides - These can work on a soft or hard surface. If the piece of furniture might be moved around in your house to different floors, this is a good option. Also, if you have an area rug under your dining table, but beyond the rug is a hardwood floor, use a plastic glide. In the event that a chair is pushed off the rug onto the wood, you're covered!