Steel Furniture Glide
This single prong steel glide is precision stamped with shanks tightly wedged into heavy heads. Points are sharp & easily driven.
Sold by the dozen.
Available in 3 Sizes:
- Head diameter: 1/2", shank length: 9/16"
- Head diameter: 5/8", shank length: 5/8"
- Head diameter: 3/4", shank length: 3/4"
Choosing the Correct Glide
Using the correct glide on your furniture is important for 2 reasons:
- They protect the floor. An incorrect glide can damage the floor. For example, using a steel glide can scratch a hardwood floor so felt would be the best.
- They allow the furniture to slide easily, without friction. This is good for the joints on the piece of furniture. Friction puts stress on the joints which can cause them to loosen up and sometimes break.
Here are some guidelines for choosing the right glide:
- Steel Glides - These are best on a carpeted surface.
- Felt Glides - These are best on hard surfaces like wood, vinyl or tiles floors.
- Plastic Glides - These can work on a soft or hard surface. If the piece of furniture might be moved around in your house to different floors, this is a good option. Also, if you have an area rug under your dining table, but beyond the rug is a hardwood floor, use a plastic glide. In the event that a chair is pushed off the rug onto the wood, you're covered!
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Medium Chair Glides
Worked fine. Not complicated
Perfect match for vintage Eames DCW chair
I searched for quite a while to find a match to the steel glides on my vintage Herman Miller Eames DCW chairs. The only other supplier wanted $3.50 per glide. I could not find these glides anywhere else, period. So happy I found them for around $1 per glide (after shipping was factored in). The Small size glide (1/2") are an exact match to the original, I can only imagine they are the actual glides used on the chairs in the 1950s. If you are doing a restoration on these chairs, skip Modern Conscience, and buy from Restoration Supplies! The product was shipped immediately and I had it in hand within 2 days. I couldn't be happier.